Monday 4 August 2014

Knit, knitter, knittest!

...like fit, fitter, fittest. :) And now I am thinking of a colleague's mug that says "I am silently correcting your grammar."

I just LOVE knitting! At our school we encourage each learner and teacher to knit at least 1 block. Then we work it together and make blankets for less fortunate babies.

I always want things to be "perfect". For example, if I work blocks together for a blanket I make sure that the pattern of the colours are symmetrical.

Recently I challenged myself to make a "less perfect" baby blanket for my son. Instead of knitting blocks, I knitted strips of blocks. The length of the blocks in the strips had to be different every time, so that things don't line up.

I was so surprised with the finished product - to me it looked even more beautiful than any other blanket I have made before!

Somebody commented that by making the blocks different lengths I just made the blanket "perfectly imperfect" - which is a statement I agree with.

I also loved making this blanket because I knitted lots of different textures - all patterns I've "made up" myself. I hate boring knitting. Knitting a plain block just kills me. So it was amazing knitting this interesting blanket and each time I could think of new and interesting patterns.

Now I'm hooked on this perfectly imperfect blankets and I'm busy with my second one...

Here are some photos of some of the blocks I've knitted:




No comments:

Post a Comment